A wonderful and fascinating scene-by-scene audio commentary by director Terry Gilliam. There’s so many levels to a Gilliam picture and it’s fascinating to have him open the layers of creativity.
“Only we know that,” Gilliam says at one point when he divulges some offscreen trivia, “We and the owners of the Criterion collection”. Which is a damn shame, because presently (and for years) this informative and enjoyable commentary has been available only on now-obsolete laserdisc, despite the petitioning of film fans to get it ported over to DVD. Gilliam demonstrates an amazing capacity to talk about the film from beginning to end without pause, seemingly on the fly. He finds something to say about every scene and covers every base imaginable. It’s a treat to hear him openly enjoying the film’s performances and odd inspired and unscripted moments. He’s also very canny/mindful about how to structure films that will ‘play’ for an audience.
9 Notes/ Hide
- flashesofsonder likes this
- airhornoftruthandlove likes this
- innernutshell reblogged this from cinephilearchive
- camilacamaleon reblogged this from cinephilearchive
- easternbloc likes this
- acharlescoleman reblogged this from cinephilearchive
- kimyoofilms likes this
- robertfrenay likes this
- trulyunpleasant reblogged this from cinephilearchive
- cinephilearchive posted this